Pleyel-Schimmel Grand piano made in the year 1985
A Black Polyester cased Made by Pleyel (Schimmel-Under contract in the Braunschweig, Germany factory) 174 cm model. Serial number 220232 finished in the year 1985. Like new, contact us for more information
Schimmel is a German piano maker with factories in Braunschweig, Germany and Kalisz, Poland. Their product line has been described as “the most highly awarded German piano”.
The company was founded in 1885 in Leipzig by Wilhelm Schimmel. In August 2009, the biggest piano maker in Germany became insolvent and was protected from its creditors in a manner similar to “chapter 11” in the USA. In April 2010, after the firm was financially restructured, it became solvent and healthy again and has been released from its protected state by the German authorities.
In May 2010, the company celebrated its 125 anniversary with a special ceremony held in Brunswick Cathedral in its home city of Braunschweig and the announcement of several new models.
Wilhelm Arno Schimmel died unexpectedly in 1961. The management of the company was passed on to his son Nikolaus Wilhelm Schimmel in 1934, who had both a piano apprenticeship and a commercial education. The 1960s were still associated with a boom for the piano industry, and soon the factory suffered again from lack of space. In 1966, construction began on a new site in the south of Braunschweig, which met the new requirements. In 1975, 7,500 instruments left the factory every year. In the early 1980s there were 10,000, including the – from 1972 to 1996 – under the name Pleyel made pianos.
In January 2016, the Chinese Pearl River Piano Group took over 90% of the shares of Schimmel.
Pleyel Wolff Lyon Pianos
The production of Pleyel pianos was begun by Ignace Pleyel in 1807. It is one of the oldest French piano manufacturers. Pleyel is known for its expertise having been sought by artists such as Frédéric Chopin, Camille Saint-Saëns, Maurice Ravel, Igor Stravinsky and Manuel de Falla. In 1853 Auguste Wolff went into business with Camille Pleyel. The business was then known as Pleyel Wolf Lyon & Cie. Wolff made exceptional pianos and helped develop the business. He was responsable for numerous innovations. He came from a family of musicians, and devised a strategy of producing pianos that would become known for their tone and their elegance. In 1865, Wolff built a large factory equipped with mechanised machines, with production at 2,500 pianos in 1887. From 1883 onwards, Gustave Lyon, Wolff’s son-in-law, took over Pleyel’s factory. He won a gold medal during the 1889 World’s Fair, during which he exhibited a specially-made harpsichord. In 1925, Lyon ordered construction to begin on the Pleyel concert hall, in rue du faubourg Saint-Honoré, Paris. But the Great Depression of 1929 was fatal for the Pleyel group: Pleyel pianos filed for bankruptcy in 1933 and the concert hall was seized by their bank, Crédit lyonnais, in 1934. When Gustave Lyon died, Pleyel Pianos and the Pleyel concert hall were separated.
The company merged with Erard and Gaveau in 1965 and was leased to Schimmel from 1970 to 1990. It was bought back and a small number of pianos were made in Alès but this met with little success. A series of problems followed, and despite a final restructuring with modern workshops in Saint Denis, the company finally closed in 2013.