Art Cased Grand piano designed by Maple & Co.
Triumphant Grand Piano made by Gaveau Paris Gothic style
Designer- Maple & Co.
Serial number- 72525
Length- 180 cm
Gaveau of Paris was a French piano manufacturer. The company was established by Joseph Gabriel Gaveau in 1847 in Paris and used to be one of the three largest piano makers in France (after Érard and Pleyel). A large factory was located at Fontenay-sous-Bois.
Some Gaveau pianos were constructed with art cabinets. Many pianos have been equipped with pneumatic systems (Odeola, Ampico and Welte).
In 1960, Gaveau merged with Érard. From 1971 to 1994 Gaveau pianos were made by pianoforte manufacturing company Wilhelm Schimmel. The brand is currently owned by Manufacture Française de Pianos, the same company that owns the Pleyel and Erard brands. Today, Manufacture Française de Pianos manufactures certain models under the Gaveau name.
Maple & Co.
Maple & Co was the largest furniture retailer in the world.
John Maple ( 1815-1900) was born in Greenhurst A sussey M´Hamlet. He was the son of a small farmer. Maple served an apprenticeship at a general store.
Maple partnered with James Cook to form Maple & Cook, furnishers and drapers of Tottenham Court Road London in 1840. THe business had a capitol of under 500 Pounds.
Cook left the firm by mutual consent in 1847 and the business traded as John Maple & Co:
Maple managed the business on a low margin pronciple: He claimed to have the largest funriture showroom in the world by 1850. In 1857 the entire building collapsed. It was speedily rebuilt in a much grander style. His sonm John Blundell Maple (1845-1903) entered the business in 1861. He was made a partner in 1867
Hundreds of salemen were employed at Tottenham Court Road by 1874. John Blundell Maple had taken control of the business in 1880 a dapper yes modest and kindley henial man. The subsequent growth of the business was mainly to his credit, Maple had unbounded energy enterprise and commercial genius according to the Leeds Mercury. An obituary would later describe his great shrewdness and energy and capacity for acquiring a complete mastery of all details of the business.
At JB Maples initiative the firm furnished many of the great hotels and houses throughout the British Empire and Europe. One of the furnishing bills for a great London Hotel amounted to 100,000 pounds.
Maple & co. was the largest funriture retailer in the world by 1885. The Tottenham COurt Road premises covered four acres by 1888. A staff was directly employed in order to meet the demands, the vast majorityof production was subcontracted. John Crossley & Sons a carpet manufacturer represented one of the largest suppliers Maples & Co had furnished all the Courts of Europe. Most members of the British Royal Family had been supplied including Queen Victoria.
Maple & Co was converted into a limited liability company with a capital of 2 Million pounds in 1891. J B Maple paid for the reconstruction of the Univeristy College Hospital in 189 at a cost of 120 000 pounds
John Maples died in 1900 with an estate valued at 892 503 pounds
By 1903 the Tottenham Court Road premises was thirty times larger then it has been in 1863. At the headquarters alone, 3000 people were employed.
John Blundell Maple died in 1903 with an estate valued at over 2 million pounds. He had been a generous philanthropist throughout his life: The Daily Mail comments, perhaps hyperbolically that his goods furnished “Half the Palaces of Europe and the bulk of the best modern mansions in Great Britain”
In !906, and Argentinian subsidiary was established.
In 1972 Maple & Co was acquired by Macowards of Cardiff for an amount of over 14 million pounds. That year the Tottenham Court Road head office and flagship store were closed for redevelopment. The resulting fiasco saw shares plummet to ten perscent of their 1972 value by 1977. By 1977 there were 45 British stores and two French stores.
Maple & Co was acquired by Waring & Gillows, a furniture retailer for 9.7 million pounds in 1993. Maples entered into receivership in 1997, a result of high debts and poor trading. THe firm targeted the upper mass market and had 24 stores including nine larger out of town sites and a staff of 340 people. THe Tottenhamd Court Road location was acquired by the Furniture Village, eight stores were sold to Alders.