John Broadwood & Sons Flügel
A luxury designed Arts and Crafts grand piano with an Architectural importance significant to English Victorian Architectural History John Broadwood & Sons concert grand piano designed to order by Sir Alfred Waterhouse. Serial number 21658 piano in Walnut was finished the 16th February in the year 1882 and was delivered to his home the same year.
Also known for his furniture designs, Sir Alfred Waterhouse designs have been noted in various books paperwork and museum collections worldwide. One know recent book is ‘Furniture designs by Alfred Waterhouse’ published in 1979 written by Sheldon Anne Wallace. From what we know, there is only one other piano known to have been designed by this famous artist and architect which is now in the Victoria Albert Museum in London with the serial number of 21657
Alfred Waterhouse was an English architect, particularly associated with the Victorian Gothic Revival architecture and funriture. He is perhaps best known for his design for Manchester Town Hall and the Natural History Museum in London, although he also built a wide variety of other buildings throughout the country.
Financially speaking, Waterhouse was probably the most successful of all Victorian architects. Though expert within Neo-Gothic, Renaissance revival and Romanesque revival styles, Waterhouse never limited himself to a single architectural style.
Waterhouse became a fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1861, and was president from 1888 to 1891. He obtained a grand prix for architecture at the Paris Exposition of 1867, and a “Rappel” in 1878. In the same year he received the Royal Gold Medal of the Royal Institute of British Architects, and was made an associate of the Royal Academy, of which body he became a full member in 1885 and treasurer in 1898. He was also a member of the academies of Vienna (1869), Brussels (1886), Antwerp (1887), Milan (1888) and Berlin (1889), and a corresponding member of the Institute de France (1893). After 1886 he was constantly called upon to act as assessor in architectural competitions, and was a member of the international jury appointed to adjudicate on the designs for the west front of Milan Cathedral in 1887. In 1890 he served as architectural member of the Royal Commission on the proposed enlargement of Westminster Abbey as a place of burial.